Here you will find details on how to get here, how to get around, what you need to know about crossing the border, local weather and other can’t-live-without-it info.

How to get to Winnipeg

Winnipeg is the capital of the province of Manitoba and is accessible from almost anywhere in the world. Located in the geographic centre of Canada, Winnipeg is easily accessible by air, land or rail.

By Air

Winnipeg Richardson International Airport
2000 Wellington Avenue
P: (204) 987-9402

St. Andrews Airport
202-705 South Gate Road
St. Andrews, MB R1A 3P9
P: (204) 983-3735

Winnipeg Richardson International Airport welcomes 3.4 million passengers annually. With in excess of 140 flights per day, the airport is serviced by major and local carriers including: Air Canada, Delta and WestJet.

Additional services are readily available through major charter operators or private air transportation facilities. Winnipeg Richardson International Airport enjoys non-stop services from major U.S. hub airports: Chicago, Denver, Las Vegas, Minneapolis/St. Paul and Phoenix. Delta and United Airlines offer nearly 100 direct flights per week departing from Winnipeg, which ranks third among the 12 Canadian mid-sized cities surveyed by the number of scheduled direct flights.

For information on booking your flight to Winnipeg, take advantage of the links below:

Passenger Carriers (serving main terminal building)

Other Passenger Carriers
For more information on flying to and from Winnipeg, visit the Winnipeg Airports Authority website at

Air Times to Winnipeg

  • Vancouver - 2:55 hours
  • Calgary - 2:03 hours
  • Toronto - 2:17 hours
  • Ottawa - 2:25 hours
  • Montreal - 2:33 hours
  • Minneapolis - 1:19 hours
  • Chicago - 2:00 hours
  • New York - 3:39 hours
  • Miami - 6:17 hours
  • Dallas - 4:52 hours
  • Denver - 2:30 hours
  • Los Angeles - 5:20 hours
  • Yellowknife - 7:45 hours
  • Iqaluit - 5:15 hours

By Rail

VIA Rail
123 Main Street
Toll Free (Canada and U.S.): 1 (888) VIA-RAIL

The Canadian, one of VIA Rail’s proudest services, travels across Canada and stops in Winnipeg. The Hudson Bay departs from Winnipeg and travels up to Churchill. VIA Rail Canada runs more than 480 trains per week over a 14,000 kilometre network, linking more than 450 localities in Canada. Over four million passengers travel on VIA Rail each year. You can connect to Via Rail through Amtrack or your local carrier.

For more information on booking your ticket, please visit:

By Road

Whether you are driving on your own or letting someone do the driving for you, Winnipeg is an easy destination to get to and is only one hour north of the U.S. border crossing at Pembina North Dakota.

In Canada:

  • The No. 1 Trans-Canada Highway (east-west) provides direct connection to all major urban centres in the country.

From the United States:

  • Manitoba No. 7 South to connect with U.S. Interstate No. 29 and Minnesota No. 94 (border crossing: Emerson).
  • Manitoba No. 59 to connect with Minnesota No. 59 and U.S. #2 (border crossing: Tolstoi).

By Bus

The Winnipeg Bus Terminal is located at Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport. Ticketing available Monday to Sunday: 6:30am to 11:59pm; and on holidays: 6:30am to 11:59pm. For more information on ticket purchases, please call or visit the websites noted below:

  • Beaver Bus Lines Ltd.
    339 Archibald Street
    Phone: (204) 989-7007
    Toll free in Canada: 1 (800) 432-5072
  • Brandon Air Shuttle
    (ground transportation between Brandon and Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport)
    Phone: (204) 729-3332 or 1 (888) 884-5533

Border Regulations

Travelling to Canada From the United States

The United States Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act requires air travellers to and from the United States, the Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama and Mexico have passports or other secure, accepted documents to enter Canada or to re-enter the United States. This policy also applies to Canadians travelling to and from these destinations.

As of June 1, 2009 citizens travelling by land or sea, are required to have documents that comply with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), most commonly a passport, a passport card, a trusted traveler card such as NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST, or an enhanced driver's license.

Tourism Winnipeg advises U.S. residents to visit the U.S. Department of State website at for the most up-to-date information.

Visitors from other countries can visit the Canadian Government website for more information or contact the Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate responsible for their region.

Within Canada, call Citizenship and Immigration Canada at 1.888.242.2100.

Travelling to Canada from outside the United States

In general, passports are required. However, visitors from countries other than the U.S. should call for further information:

  • Outside Canada: 1 (800) 992-7037
  • Within Canada: 1 (888) 242-2100

Returning to the United States

Each person returning to the U.S. from Canada may purchase and declare the following:

  • $200 goods duty-free, after less than 48 hours. Duty-free products – 50 cigarettes and 10 cigars and 150 millilitres (5 fl. oz.) of alcoholic beverages or 150 millilitres (5 fl. oz.) of perfume containing alcohol.
  • $800 goods duty-free, after more than 48 hours. Duty-free products – 1 litre (33.8 oz.) alcohol or 24 cans of beer; 100 cigars, 200 cigarettes or 1 kg (2.2 pounds) of tobacco.
  • Any “reasonable amount” of food and gasoline or oil is permitted.

Goods bought in Canada, but manufactured in the U.S., are duty-free and not included in the basic exemption. Original handmade crafts and works of art are also exempt, however a receipt of purchase may be required. For further information on U.S. customs regulations, please visit or call (905) 676-2606.

Bringing Children into Canada

Adults travelling with children should carry identification for each child. Divorced parents who share custody of their children should carry copies of the legal custody documents.

Adults who are not parents or guardians should have written permission from the parents or guardians to supervise the children. When travelling with a group of vehicles, parents or guardians should be in the same vehicle as the children when arriving at the border. Customs officers are looking for missing children and may ask questions about the children who are travelling with you.

For more information on Border Regulations please contact:

Canada Border Services Agency
Conventions, Meetings, Trade Shows and Exhibitions

Destination Canada